Instantly adding volume and depth to your mane, clip in hair extensions are easy to style and should blend seamlessly with your natural hair colour. Clip ins will hide your biggest hair concerns and keep your natural locks intact — so you can let your mane down with absolute confidence. Clip in hair extensions are also the perfect solution for those who wish to add thickness to their natural hair without the long-term hassle and tricky maintenance of permanent extensions.
While it may feel like a daunting task at first, clipping in your extensions is far easier than it seems. To ensure you feel comfortable throughout the entire process, we’ve put together a step by step guide that will show you how to achieve natural-looking results along with how to hide clip in in hair extensions for a seamless finish.
How to use and put in clip in hair extensions
- Preparing your natural hair for application will ensure seamless results while your extensions remain undetected. Simply comb through your hair with a soft padded brush to detangle any knots.
- Once your hair is brushed, start at the bottom of your head at the nape area and separate a straight thin section of hair with your finger or a comb. Then tuck the rest of your hair away using a clip. Then take your clip in extension, brush it out to remove tangles and gently clip the weft into your scalp.
- Continue to separate sections before finding the centre of your head and clipping the weft into the roots of your hair. Slightly stretch the extensions before clipping in the sides to ensure there’s no bumps or creases.
- Continue this method, sectioning your hair about 1 inch above the last clip.
- Then apply your two and one clip pieces to either side of your head. Ensure the clipped pieces are placed at the front of your hair to balance out any layers you have in your natural hair. As for how to hide your clip in hair extensions, ensure your natural hair is layered over the top, so the clip ins can purely provide volume, fullness and thickness.
- After you’ve secured your extensions, if you wish to use a heated hair tool, apply a heat protectant spray beforehand and ensure your styling tools are on a low to medium heat setting, below 180 degrees. After the application process is complete, you can even trim layers to frame your face if you prefer a more tapered, textured look.
How to care for your clip in hair extensions
While they’re extremely low maintenance and a cost-effective solution to spending hours in the salon, hair extension care should be one of your top priorities.
Brushing your extensions must become a regular activity, especially after wearing them. Simply start detangling from the bottom and slowly work your way up. Do not pull or tug on the extensions, as this can cause them to break.
If you’re wondering how to wash your clip in hair extensions, this is something you should only do every four to six weeks, or more often if you wear them regularly. Obviously, the timeline depends on whether you use other products, creams or sprays to style your mane. If you feel your extensions need a little extra love and care, you can always try a dry shampoo in between washes.
If you have decided to wash your extensions, resist the temptation to use a blowdryer. Adding heat to the hair can damage the quality, so let the hair dry naturally. If you do decide to use a flat iron or curling iron to style your extensions, use a heat protector spray so you can further protect its lifespan.
After you’ve treated your extensions, lay them down and nearly store them in a spacious box where there’s no room for tangling.
Get your clip in hair extensions today at Showpony
Made from high-quality Remy A+ human hair with secure clips that are strong yet gentle on your natural hair, our clip in extensions will transform any stylish ‘do. You can apply all seven pieces of the set for intense volume or choose a few pieces that best suit your desired finish. When you shop at Showpony, it’s easy to transform your hair in minutes.
Browse our range today and keep your extensions in premium condition with our hair extension care products.